Click here to learn how to join the First Strike Nation!
KYT, Robert, Derek, and Andy look at the new Challenger decks and the Standard metagame after GP Memphis. Toronto legend Edgar Magalhaes drops by to share his advice on playing Jace the Mind Sculptor in Modern.
- (00:03:23) Will the new Challenger decks really help new players get into Standard? Are the decks being released too close to the new set Dominaria to have an impact?
- (00:15:11) GP Memphis was won by RG Aggro, but is the bigger news the return of the snake to the top 8? What other decks in Standard should you be prepared for (like Grixis Energy)?
- (00:26:52) Why play Grixis Energy instead of UB in Standard?
- (00:36:04) Introducing Edgar Magalhaes, Toronto’s other repeat Grand Prix Top 8 competitor.
- (00:39:27) Is Sultai the best home for Jace the Mind Sculptor in Modern? Is Jace so powerful that it will be re-banned?
- (00:45:29) Is Jund the real thing, now that Bloodbraid Elf is back?
- (00:51:21) Is the 8-round Day 1, 7-round Day 2 configuration at Grand Prix too hard on travel times?
- (01:03:25) How can the problem of going X-2 and not making Top 8 in a Grand Prix be fixed?
- (01:09:27) Thoughts on the few Masters 25 previews so far?
First Strike is a Magic: The Gathering debate-style podcast hosted that discusses the week’s hottest competitive and social topics of the game.